First of all, it is important to clarify that to have an alkaline body means that the pH of the body is balanced and maintained around 7.4 (7.0 – 8.0 on a scale of pH).
To have an alkaline body is extremely important because diseases -like cancer, diabetes, arthritis and high cholesterol levels- cannot thrive in an alkalised system. The closer you can get to this state, the healthier you will be. A slightly alkaline body can benefit bone health, reduce muscle wasting, mitigate chronic diseases, improve cardiovascular health and enhance memory and cognition.
On the opposite side, an acid body is the perfect breeding ground for the bacteria and diseases to emerge. An acidic diet will eventually make small changes to our blood, making it more acidic.
These are the most important tips to have an alkaline body:
- Eat a proportion of 80% alkaline foods and 20% neutral to acidic foods every day. This combination will allow your body to stay balanced. Increment the proportion of alkaline foods (veggies, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, oils, vitamin D, fruits, honey and apple cider vinegar) to reverse a disease. If you have a change, choose fresh and organic foods.
- Low the intake of acidic foods. Some examples of acidic foods are: coffee, sodas, alcohol, tobacco, meat, shell fish, eggs, white bread, white rice, pasta, cow dairy, prepared fruit juices, chocolate and sugar. It is difficult for our bodies to correct the imbalance caused when you have these.
- Avoid eating processed, prepared and canned foods. Since its introduction in the 1950’s, disease rates have been climbing steadily, especially for cancer & heart disease.
- Meditation, yoga, long walks, sleep, quiet reading and healthy relationships are activities that also keep your body alkaline. On the other hand, stress and negative emotions and thoughts cause our bodies to secrete acidic fluids that then need to be balanced.
- Drink warm water with lemon, ginger and honey to start the day. Although on the outside of the body lemon is acidic, once consumed, it turns alkaline.
You can test your system to see how alkaline you are by using a strip of yellow litmus paper (available at most health stores and pharmacies). This strip reacts with the urine and shows on a scale the degree of alkalinity in your body fluid. Measure your pH on the second pee in the morning, after drinking a glass of water and before ingesting any food. Also, you can measure it in the afternoon after eating a balanced meal. The reason why it is not recommended to measure the pH on the first pee of the day is because it will reflect a great level of acidity, as the body has been detoxifying during the night.
Follow us on:
♥ Facebook: Clean Eating Info
♥ Instagram: cleaneatinginfo
(Photograph credit to Pixabay)